Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Design Lessons

I've realized a few things since starting my new job in Peoria at the beginning of March...

1. I really like designing logos.
I honestly didn't think I would ever say that but it's true. The more I do, the more I like doing them. There's something about giving a person or company an identity that represents everything they are, yet maintaining simplicity.

2. I miss web design.
This one is no surprise. Web is probably my favorite medium and I have done zero of it the last 6 weeks. I'm not complaining, it's just that I always want to keep web in my repertoire. Not sure why I used that word.

3. Agriculture is one of my favorite industries. 
I've been designing for 5 different agriculture companies over the past 5 years and I really enjoy the industry. There's something about the realness and how personable farmers are. They love being interviewed, photographed and telling their stories. No corporate agenda or meetings to get to (although a few have been annoyed that I threw off their planting/harvesting schedule--they have been the exception). The designs aren't always the most progressive, but hey, I can at least try to push the envelope, right?

4. I like leading and being led simultaneously. 
This one might sound weird but it's cool to be a leader in some areas and a follower in others. As I'm learning the ropes at work, there are multiple people leading me who are immensely talented and very easy to follow. And yet there's still the aspect of being a leader with clients and within the agency on some projects. I like that. It's win-win. I think everybody needs some of both. Maybe not an equal amount, but definitely a little of both. If you want to lead, you probably should have been led before.

5. Design doesn't define me.
Yes, design is one of my favorite things in the world. I think I'll always be passionate about art and seek to express it somehow but it doesn't define who I am as a person. I don't write this because other people have thought this, but rather, for myself. I think I have to constantly prove myself... to myself. Ridiculous. I'll continue creating meaningful, good art but the defining part is quite a bit deeper than that.

I'll post 3 of the logos we presented to the client and let you guess which one was chosen....

No comments:

Post a Comment