Friday, September 10, 2010

For Serious? Slogans

So I've been meaning to write about these two logos for awhile now.... These are what I'll refer to as my "For Serious? Slogans." (that's a shout out to Zoolander, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHM53NnAaGc). First, let me preface this with the fact that there are a lot worse taglines/slogans out there... you know, the WalMart type, "Save Money. Live Better." promises companies make all the time. So while these are pretty innocent, they are still very ridiculous.

1. "Cover the Earth" by Sherwin Williams
With all of the environmental awareness and "go green" campaigns going on around the world it blows my mind how a paint company gets away with the tagline "cover the earth." For Serious? Cover the earth with paint. All the mountains, rivers, houses, small children, animals, forests... just cover them with paint. Now that's clearly not what they're trying to convey, but come on the logo is legitimately a paint can being dumped on the globe. Anyway, that made me laugh the other month when I saw the logo on the side of a semi-truck.



2. "America Runs on Dunkin'" by Dunkin' Donuts
That's right, our fatboy culture and economy is fueled by a donut shop. Awesome. The sad thing is, it's pretty true.

Random World Leader:  "The United States is the wealthiest nation in the world and one of the most unhappy with the quality of life, too. How does that work?"

Random U.S. Leader:  "Our country is fueled by Dunkin' Donuts. They provide everything we need: coffee, donuts, ice cream and slushies. Fat and efficient, that's how we operate."

Random World Leader:  "Sounds legit."

Hmm... even I'll admit that I get the occasional cup of coffee at Dunkin' but the idea that America Runs on Dunkin' is pretty hilarious.

OK, that's all for now... stay tuned, I'm hoping to have some artist interviews up sometime soon.

1 comment:

  1. I think you meant phatboy, yes? Also, the SWP logo splashy thingie looks like the fruit gushers splash...hmmm
    http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Gushers-Flavored-Strawberry-6-Count/dp/B000EMOCXA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1284755694&sr=1-5

    ReplyDelete